Alternative nicotine products lead to reduction in smoking rates: report
简介Alternative nicotine products can have a "significant" impact on reducing smoking rates as demonstra ...
Alternative nicotine products can have a "significant" impact on reducing smoking rates as demonstrated by case studies in Japan and Sweden, a report showed Friday.
In a policy paper dubbed “Safer Nicotine Works,” Tholos Foundation said it has found that alternative nicotine products, ranging from snus, nicotine pouches and gum to vapes and tobacco heating products, help people quit smoking cigarettes.
Japan saw smoking rates, those that smoked cigarettes daily, decline from 19.8 percent to 17.8 percent in just two years between 2017 and 2019 after tobacco heating products were introduced to the market in 2016, the report said. The rate had dropped less than 2 percent over a 14-year period from 2003.
In 2020, the number of male smokers plummeted to below 30 percent for the first time in history. THPs’ launch there also led to a 32 percent drop in cigarette sales in the five years to 2021.
Sweden attributed its decline in smoking rates to snus -- small pouches like tea bags that stick between the upper lip and gum -- and nicotine pouches, as well as taxation on tobacco products. Sweden is the only member state of the European Union that permits the sales of snus.
Close to winning the title of the world’s first “smoke-free” country, Sweden recorded a smoking rate of 5.6 percent in 2022, the lowest in Europe. The rate of those that smoked daily halved from 11.4 percent in a decade.
The research concludes that the alternative nicotine products can be a realistic, less harmful solution to reducing smoking rates.
The foundation issued the paper jointly with Japan-based Pacific Alliance Institute and Sweden’s Scantech Strategy Advisors.
Separately, South Korea’s smoking rate is steadily declining alongside a growing THP market.
THPs, which first entered the Korean market in 2017, took up about 27.8 percent of the nation’s tobacco market this year, according to the Korea Health Promotion Institute’s National Tobacco Control Center.
KT&G’s lil, Philip Morris’ Iqos and BAT Rothmans’ Glo are some of the THPs sold in Korea.
One in 8 commercial flights entering South Korea was found to be contaminated with pathogens that ca ...
The National Changgeuk Company of Korea is making a grand return to the stage with one of its most m ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장이 지난 8월 3~5일 중요 군수공장을 시찰하면서 완성된 122mm 방사포탄 만져보는 모습. 조선중앙TV 캡처, 연합뉴스북한이 미국의 대이스라엘 군사 지원과 ...
Two dead in Gyeongju construction site collapse
Han Kang wins prestigious French award for foreign literature
‘Feminist’ and ‘mama’s boy’ make the least desirable dates in Korea, survey finds
NewJeans to be first K
American investigated for ‘teeth grinding’ graffiti across Yongsan
Stalking crimes could lead to up to 5 years in prison custody
- Food trade agency launches global low
- Yoon set to depart for San Francisco to attend APEC summit
- Yoon says short selling ban necessary to protect retail investors
- BNK Busan Bank to pilot English
- [Herald Interview] ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’ director, actor say drama consoled them
- [Today’s K
- Samsung Bioepis to develop MSD's Keytruda biosimilar
- Finance minister calls for reenactment of corporate restructuring act
- Helicopter parent's questions spark debate online
- S. Korea, US revise deterrence strategy amid growing NK threats
- [Herald Interview] Song Joong
- Broadcom to appeal S. Korean regulator's fine over unfair Samsung Electronics deal
- [Feature] The rise and fall of terrestrial TV dramas
- [Korea Beyond Korea] ‘Korea should support Korean history studies, research abroad’
- [Today’s K
- [Herald Interview] Mimiirose hopes to make a name for itself
- Will Kep1er disband? Project group eyes extension with 'Magic Hour'
- NK slams Yoon's warning against Pyongyang
- KB chief hopes successor transforms group into 'Samsung of finance'
- [사진] 용산 팔도장터 찾아 떡메치기
- Benois de la Danse winner Kang Mi
- SKC to build bioplastics plant in Vietnam
- [Hello Hangeul] The making of Korean language textbooks featuring BTS
- Yoon's approval rating edges up after 6
- Rebellions' AI chip to undergo IBM quality testing
- SM founder Lee Soo
- Milk prices to go up in Oct.
- N. Korea scheduled to hold key parliamentary meeting following Kim
- Kakao completes its first own data center
- Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public