Seoul shares end nearly flat amid signs of cooling US inflation
简介South Korean shares closed nearly flat Thursday amid signs of cooling US inflation. The local curren ...
South Korean shares closed nearly flat Thursday amid signs of cooling US inflation. The local currency gained ground against the US dollar.
After choppy trading, the benchmark Korea Composite Stock Price Index added 1.51 points, or 0.06 percent, to close at 2,488.18.
Trade volume was slim at 401.6 million shares worth 6.61 trillion won ($5.09 billion), with gainers outnumbering loser 546 to 311.
Foreigners purchased a net 458 billion won worth of local shares while institutions offloaded a net 62.4 billion won. Individual investors net sold 394.4 billion won worth of shares.
The Kospi opened a tad higher, tracking overnight gains on Wall Street following reports of a lower-than-expected US producer price index in October, one day after the United States registered the slowest increase in consumer prices in the same month since 2021.
"The slowing of inflation, which has long provided the basis for tight monetary policy, helped reinforce beliefs that the US Fed's rate hikes have in fact ended, creating an upward momentum for the stock market," said Hwang Joon-ho, an analyst at SangSangIn Investment & Securities.
Seoul shares closed mixed.
Market bellwether Samsung Electronics gained 0.83 percent to 72,800 won, while leading battery maker LG Energy Solution fell 1.99 percent to 442,500 won.
Top automaker Hyundai Motor advanced 1.26 percent to 184,800 won, with its smaller affiliate Kia surging 3.68 percent to 84,500 won.
Top portal operator Naver lost 1.22 percent to 203,000 won, with top mobile carrier SK Telecom slipping 0.39 percent to 51,100 won.
The local currency closed at 1,296.90 won per dollar, up 3.90 won from the previous session's close. (Yonhap)
Hyundai Motor is sticking to its mission to lead the growth of the electric vehicle sector in Indone ...
이원욱 더불어민주당 의원이 19일 오후 서울 여의도 국회 의원회관에서 열린 '원칙과 상식 1. 민심소통: 청년에게 듣는다' 토론회에서 발언을 하고 있다. 뉴스1이원욱 더불어민주당 ...
LG Energy Solution, the nation’s top battery maker for electric vehicles, said Wednesday that its bo ...
- Sombre palaces, tombs swathed in fall colors
- [Korea Beyond Korea] From history and K
- Director touts Netflix's ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’ as warm tale for adults
- Jungkook ties record for most Billboard Hot 100 hits as K
- Kakao Mobility announces plan to overhaul commission system amid monopoly criticism
- Celltrion wins UNDP tender to supply anticancer treatments to Turkmenistan
- FM Park, Blinken to meet in Seoul next week
- [Herald Interview] Journey to find her voice has brought Vittoria Yeo to peak performance
- LG Energy Solution debuts new battery
- 北 오죽 돈 없으면…유럽서도 방 뺀다, 주스페인 대사관 폐쇄
- Concerns grow over rise of fall webworm
- S. Korea's rising problem: unemployed youth giving up on job searching
- Monk sentenced to 18 months for assaulting woman who refused sex
- Over 40% of manufacturers say they need more foreign workers
- Korean Air to retain Asiana workers after takeover: sources
- Samsung Biologics to offer solutions for Kurma Partners' portfolio firms
- EU preparing UN draft resolution on NK human rights
- Korean delicacy of live octopus leads to choking death of 82
- [KH Explains] Samsung
- KT, Hyundai E&C, Saudi’s STC team up for digital infrastructure
- 'The Boys' director says blending fact, fiction necessary to deliver message
- Exhibition at holy site highlights Catholic presence in Korea
- S. Korea to hold remembrance ceremony for independence fighter at center of ideological dispute
- Touting historic ties with Saudi Arabia, Yoon calls for new partnership for growth
- 병역거부 대체복무자 첫 소집해제…1173명 전국 교정시설에
- 軍 "北, 하마스식 대남공격 가능성"…증거로 나온 '방
- [Our Museums] Ride through nation's train heritage at Korea Railroad Museum
- Seoul shares open higher as US Treasury yields slide
- Hyundai partners with Saudi firms to build hydrogen mobility ecosystem